Where should I locate my CO Detector?

Follow these rules to avoid making your CO detector redundant.
You can mount it either on the ceiling or wall. 

    • Wall: Locate at least 15 cm below the ceiling but greater than the height of any door or window.
    • Ceiling: Locate at least 30 cm from any wall.
    • The detector should be at a horizontal distance of 1M to 3M from the wood burner.
    • Do not locate detector above windows, radiators, wall/ceiling lights or doors.

Check the instructions supplied with the detector if your room has sloping ceilings or partitions etc.

Courtesy of Safelincs Fire & Safety

Dead Air Space

Although carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air and diffuses evenly throughout the room, there is a ‘dead air space’ that traps air and prevents the monitor from detecting carbon monoxide.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors. ~£15 to £50.   These can literally save lives!
flexi chimney rodsflexi chimney rods
You can find excellent advice & information free on the  Fire Service Web Site: https://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/carbon-monoxide.
The UK Fire Service Resources recommends Safelincs Safety Products: https://www.safelincs.co.uk/co-detectors/?referrer=fireservice.
This is a great resource to review if your existing CO Detector is safe and if not, which alarm to buy.

IMPORTANT: Check your existing CO Detector’s Replacement Date (you should see a month & year stamped on it) …the earlier portable models with replaceable batteries generally will only have a useable life of 5 to 7 years.
Most current portable models have a sealed battery which comes with a specified guaranteed life of either 7 or 10 years. They will sound an alarm on expiry too.

Building Regulations, Oct. 2010, require a CO detector for all rooms with a solid fuel burning appliance.
It is worth noting that gas appliances can also emit carbon monoxide e.g. combi’ boilers, gas cookers/hobs and gas fires. Though not compulsory it is highly recommended that you also include all rooms with these appliances. This includes garages and sheds with portable fuel heaters.

Warning: Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer” because it is odourless, tasteless and  colourless. It’s also toxic, since the gas can prevent your body from properly transporting oxygen. If inhaled in high concentrations, carbon monoxide poisoning can happen quickly or it can also occur slowly, if toxic gas levels build up slowly over time.

Always make sure it has the BSI kite mark. 

The lifespan of units vary considerable from 5 to 10 yrs with sealed batteries or mains powered.  Those using standard batteries always put in a NEW set, and then test it, before the start of every winter season.